Welcome to the Village of Castorland!

Located in the Town of Denmark in Lewis County, N.Y., the Village of Castorland takes its name from the French word for beaver which is caster. The Black River, which flows within one mile of the village, played an important role in the development of the North Country and the village in particular. The river was the primary method of transportation for both people and products during the early 1800's.

                By 1870 roads had improved, the Black River Canal was built and the railroad reached the village. The Village of Castorland came to life.

                During the late 1880's and early 1900's the industries in the village included lumber and farming. Other business ventures in the village included a mattress factory, furniture factory, several hotels and two general stores. Climax Manufacturing Company, a wooden and paper box manufacturing company was a very important employer in the village. All of these businesses provided a stable but growing economy for the village, with Climax Manufacturing remaining the main source of income for residents until the 1990's. During the 1990's the village grew to a population of about 100 families and remains at that level today.

                Most of the industry has gone from the village now, but the small village friendliness and concern for neighbors remain to make Castorland a great place to live if you enjoy a quiet, safe way of life.

 

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, and familial status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).

To file a complaint of discrimination write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

 

Website Created by Dee's Website Center                                                                                                                                                         Copyright © 2013 Village of Castorland, NY